Wednesday, September 14, 2016

S'mores Popcorn Mix


I think s'mores may be one of my favorite flavor combinations of summer. And this particular s'mores treat probably beats out the rest because of how simple and quick it is to put together! Not only that, but I can almost guarantee that EVERYONE who likes chocolate will love this chocolatey, grahamy, marshmallowy treat! Crazy enough, I actually came up with this one night when I had company over and did NOT have a treat for them (I know, shocking) so I had to whip up something quick with what I had. This was born.


Since then, I have made this so many times for Boy Scouts, dinner parties, and even just a quick evening snack in front of the TV. It works in so many different situations. 


The only problem with this little snack mix though, is that it is addicting. It's one of those treats that you can just sit and munch on all night and not even realize it. But hey, the base ingredient is popcorn and as a dessert-lover, I consider popcorn a healthy addition to my diet!

  
For a printable recipe, click here.

S'mores Popcorn Mix
Ingredients:
  • 4 c. popped popcorn (or 1/4 c. kernels)*
  • 3 squares melting chocolate**
  • 3/4 c. mini marshmallows
  • 2 Hersheys chocolate bars, broken into pieces***
  • 3/4 c. graham cracker chunks****
  • salt to taste, optional
Instructions:
  1. Pour the popped popcorn (kernels removed) onto a foil-lined baking sheet. (If using unsalted popcorn, add salt to taste). Pour the graham crackers and marshmallows over the popcorn and mix to evenly combine.
  2. Melt the melting chocolate in a microwave according to package directions. Drizzle it all over the popcorn so that the popcorn, graham crackers, and the marshmallows get a nice drizzle of goodness. (For a more dense, chocolately version, see notes** below). Add the pieces of chocolate bar over the top of the whole mixture.
  3. Let the mixture sit on the sheet pan until the chocolate hardens. Break it all up and place in a serving container. 
  4. Share and enjoy with many...or just yourself!
Notes:
* I often use 1/4 c. of kernels and just add salt, but the salty-sweet contrast of buttered microwave popcorn with the other ingredients in this recipe is my favorite way to go. 
** I have also used milk chocolate chips and melted them. They do take A LOT longer to set and harden, but they totally work. One option is to actually melt about 1/2 of a bag or so of milk chocolate chips and coat the ENTIRE mixture with chocolate so that everything is completely coated. That is a lot sweeter, but equally delicious. 
*** You can substitute milk chocolate or even semisweet chocolate chips here.
**** I have also used Golden Graham cereal. It works just as well, it's just sweeter.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this idea for "S'more" (some more) delicious, quick, finger licking, fun, options that kids can happily help create for family game nights, FHE and quick gifts for someone special who needs "S'more" love❣

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our go-to family home evening snack and perfect "give-a-way" goodie.

    ReplyDelete