Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Gooey Jello Popcorn Balls with Marshmallows

I grew up eating popcorn balls made from just about every flavor of jello - orange, strawberry, cherry, lime - and I love them all. Now when I think about popcorn balls (or sing "a popcorn ball that would smell so sweet"), I can't help but remember these special treats. My mom and Auntie-X were the bakers of the popcorn balls when I was little. Along these same lines were caramel popcorn balls and even molasses! Each little ball would be homemade with love and wrapped up in plastic wrap for constant snacking that day. Good times.  


Of course, now that V-man is obsessed with popcorn and anything sweet - sound familiar? - I had to look up recipes for some jello popcorn balls. I came across this recipe on My Real Life Dinner for Jello Popcorn Balls with Mini Marshmallows. The thought of adding marshmallows to an already gooey, sweet, sticky ball sounded to me, like a fantastic idea! And V-man was all for it. I halved the recipe from My Real Life Dinner since I was just trying it out, but since I will no longer need to cut this quantity in half ever again, I will include the full recipe. The one switcharoo I made to put these fruity snacks over the top is that I used multi-colored "fruit" flavored mini marshmallows. Yes please.

What's great about these beauties is that you can use ANY flavor if jello you like! V-man chose lime, so we went with lime. Perhaps a refreshment idea for a How the Grinch Stole Christmas movie night...?


For a printable recipe, click here:

Gooey Jello Popcorn Balls with Marshmallows

Ingredients:
  • 1 small box of Jello, any flavor
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 c. light corn syrup
  • 1 tsp. water
  • 2 c. fruity mini marshmallows
  • 9 c. popped popcorn
Instructions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the popcorn and mini marshmallows. Set aside.
  2. Prepare a sheet of wax paper to place formed balls on.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine Jello, sugar, butter, syrup, and water. Cook on medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Turn burner to medium low (make sure mixture keeps boiling at this temp or turn it up a little) and cook for 1.5 - 2 minutes. 
  4. Quickly pour mixture over popcorn and marshmallows and stir with a wooden spoon until popcorn is evenly coated.
  5. With buttered hands, form popcorn into 12 round balls (6 if you want them mega-sized!). Set formed balls on to wax paper and allow to cool.
  6. After they cool, wrap each ball individually in some plastic wrap to stay fresh.
  7. Enjoy!



These are perfect little edible gifts to give away, especially in the Fall. Visiting teaching, home teaching, neighbor gifts...my list can go on and on! I've been so busy helping some Boy Scouts sell popcorn that all I think about is popcorn now! Good thing I'm a little bit obsessed with the stuff :)

Let me know how these turn out and what flavors you like best!

No comments:

Post a Comment