Thursday, April 21, 2016

Lactation Scotchy Cookies

Creative:

Lactation Cookies. Doesn't sound too appetizing, right? Wrong. These things are magnificent! And don't worry, you're not going to magically produce milk if you eat them. My whole family can attest to that. So why the name? There are a few "super foods" that are known for increasing milk supply in lactating mommies. My main go-to for that is oatmeal. These cookies also contain brewer's yeast and flax seed to help the cause. Now, all that being said, if you eat enough of these to REALLY increase milk supply, you may have other issues to deal with...


I tried out a recipe from a friend who had made lactation cookies and loved them. I had been wanting to try them, but had also been wanting to make some oatmeal scotchies to give away. Thus, an idea was born. 

With the addition of butterscotch chips, these cookies taste like rich, "nutritious", oatmeal scotchies. Their crispy exterior and chewy interior are hard to pass up. Which is why they didn't last long in our house. 





Compassionate:

I guess you could say I made these as a means to increase my milk supply for baby C... Not sure if that happened, but the thought was there. I think if I were to make a batch especially to increase my supply though, I would substitute applesauce for the butter and I would consider these cookies completely guilt-free and nutritious. 


Happy:

You may be wondering why there are M&Ms on my oatmeal schotchy cookies. Because why the heck not?! I honestly think that things always taste better if they look better. And a few colorful chocolate candies on top of any cookie can only make it more special. Completely optional, but if you have them laying around, cookies make a great place-holder for them!

Enjoy!


1 comment: