Creative:
So, the idea of a pie is the only purely "original" portion of this recipe. The recipe for Chocolate Lasagna is found all over the internet and it calls for the same basic ingredients as this pie. The only exception is that the "chocolate lasagna" calls for mini chocolate chips to be sprinkled on top instead of Oreo cookie chunks, which I prefer.
I am a lover of desserts with sustenance. I don't love milkshakes, pudding, or anything that can just slide right into my mouth, down my throat, and onto my waistline. I much prefer savoring the calories - at least that way I'm putting some effort into my treat! That being said, my favorite part of this pie is, by far, the Oreo crust. And boy does this recipe make it thick! That allows for plenty of chewing before swallowing takes place.
The recipe I will share here comes from one of the many Chocolate Lasagna recipes out there on the internet. I happened to try I Heart Naptime's version to create my Oreo Cream Pie.
Oreo Cream Pie
Ingredients:
- 18 regular OREO's
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cold milk
- 6 oz. Cool Whip, divided
- 1 (3.9 oz) pkg. chocolate instant pudding
- 1 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. cold milk
- 1/4 c. chopped OREO's
Directions:
- Crush OREO's in a food processor. Add melted butter and combine. Press OREO mixture into the bottom of a pie dish and place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese until fluffy. Add in the 1 Tbsp. cold milk and sugar. Mix until combined. Stir in 1/2 c. Cool Whip, then spread the mixture lightly over the bottom of the crust. Place in fridge for another 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chocolate pudding and cold milk. Whisk together until thick. Then spread over the top of the cream cheese layer. Place back in the refrigerator for another 5-10 minutes to allow pudding to set.
- Once the pudding has set, spread the remaining Cool Whip on the chocolate layer and then top with 1/4 c. roughly chopped OREOs. Let sit in fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. I prefer mine to sit overnight.
Compassionate:
I first had this dessert on my birthday this year when Shaner, being the amazingly thoughtful hubs that he is, decided to make me a dessert lasagna since he was unable to find time to make my lasagna for dinner. Now, unlike me, Shaner would take pudding, cream pie, or a milkshake over ANY other dessert when given the choice. It drives me crazy when we go out for ice cream! So this dessert not only benefited me on my birthday, but he was more than happy to take all the leftovers to work for lunch. It was at that point that I decided to turn it into a cream pie. That way, maybe I can include it in future Thanksgiving spreads...!
Happy:
And who's not happy when they're eating chocolate, Oreos, and whipped cream!?!???!!!
Enjoy!
Very "creative"!
ReplyDelete