These were the cupcakes I made for V-man's first birthday. I figure, since I wasn't going to make him his own full-sized cake - WAY too messy and wasteful - I better put as much bang into one bite as possible. Thus, the cream filling.
I used the same chocolate cupcake recipe that I always turn to (see recipe here). To fill the cupcakes, I simply filled a piping bag with vanilla Buttercream Frosting and stuck the tip into the baked, cooled cupcakes from the top. I squeezed in enough filling to make it come out the top just slightly. You will notice the cupcake kind of plumps up as you fill; that's a good sign.
After the cupcake has been filled, it is time to frost it. I used this swirly piping tip, but you can just slather it on with a knife if that's how you role. For the frosting, I used the same Buttercream Frosting, but I added a pinch of almond extract for a little flavor diversity. It worked.
As a note, I prepared one full batch of Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (using half as the filling and half as the frosting), and it made enough to frost and fill 16 cupcakes. Additionally, the 16 cupcakes came from halving my Chocolate Cupcake recipe.
Since V-man only ate one cupcake, we had plenty of leftovers. So, I sent them with Shaner to the YM activity where they were preparing dutch oven meals...while watching the BYU football game :) I received quite a few compliments. They were a hit!
No comments:
Post a Comment