Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Strawberry-Lemonade Cupcakes

I found a recipe for these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake and I just had to give them a try as one of my farewell to summer desserts! I feel like I did not create enough fresh, summertime desserts this year. However, this cupcake is how I would define a fresh, summertime treat!


Creative

I did not vary from the lemon cupcake recipe posted in Your Cup of Cakes blog post. It was perfect as written. However, I did use the same buttercream recipe that I have used before in my Vanilla-Cream Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream. That buttercream is just. Wow.


For the printable recipe, please click here.

Strawberry-Lemonade Cupcakes
Ingredients:

Lemon Cupcakes
  • 1 box white cake mix
  • 1/3 c. oil
  • 3 eggs
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 c. milk
Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 Tbsp. strawberry puree (about 1/2 c. strawberries)
  • 1/2 tsp. red gel food coloring
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Combine all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
  3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
  4. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack.
  5. For the frosting, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the salt and powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add vanilla, strawberry puree, and food coloring and beat until light and fluffy.
  6. Place frosting in piping bag and frost to your heart's content!
  7. Optional: place 2-3-inches of drinking straw in each cupcake to make them look like pink lemonade drinks.
  8. Enjoy!


Compassionate

Isn't it strange how visiting teaching seems to come around so quickly each month! This month, time was not my friend. It was busy to say the least. As such, I definitely made some impromptu visits to the sisters on my route. But what better way to say, "Sorry for dropping in with no notice" than with a plate of cupcakes!? Things seem to work out smoothly when sugar is involved.


Happy

While baking these strawberry lemonade cupcakes, I came to realize that I don't bake with citrus nearly enough. There is nothing like the smell of freshly-squeezed lemon, orange, or lime in the kitchen. It just screams SUMMER. And since summer is swiftly moving into autumn, I would suggest you try out these citrusy delights as soon as possible!

Comment below and let me know what you thought of these cupcakes! 

1 comment:

  1. These cupcakes really are a bite of sunshine and sweetness; memories and magic; picnics and parties; flavors and fun; all the elements of summer combined in several sensational bites. Well done!

    ReplyDelete