Thursday, March 10, 2016

Baby/Toddler Dress

Creative:

This is the very first item of clothing that I have ever sewn on my own. It turned out cute...but it didn't fit my girl :) So the pictures I'm showing are from two different dresses, but the end results were the exact same design, just different sizes.

  
I wanted to make a girlie outfit to match the 9-month outfit that V-man wore for his 9-month photo shoot. That way, I can dress the girls in a little matching jumper for their 9-month photo shoots. I found a very simple pattern from ikat bag and followed it exactly. So I'll just let you click on this link to read her instructions. She included a little pattern to cut out, but I used one of C's existing dresses to cut out my own pattern. (That being said, I used the NEW dress for the second attempt and cut out the pattern a couple inches larger).


I actually just used wrapping paper to make the pattern. Genius!


The pocket was super simple. I cut out a pocket shape in the desired fabric and, after sewing over at the top, pinned the hem into the dress itself and applied it like so. That takes out an extra step of hemming the pocket and THEN sewing it onto the dress. All decor (pockets, flowers, ruffles, etc) are attached before the dress is put together.


I even got fancy and placed real buttons and button holes on the straps. First buttons I've ever done also; they didn't turn out too bad!


Compassionate:

Well, since dress #1 did NOT fit a typical 9-month-old girl, I now have a fun homemade 6-month gift ready to give for a baby shower. It literally took me about an hour to do the whole thing (broken up into a couple nap times). All I need now is a cute new pink onesy to go under it!


Happy:

Hopefully this new little dress will make people happy when they see our babies' photos in matching outfits, all lined up in our office, just like back home. I'm personally excited and VERY happy with how my first TWO dresses turned out.

I'm not as skilled as most of the women in my family...but I'm quite pleased with the simplicity of this pattern and hope you will be too!

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me to get out my sewing machine and create! Thanks

    ReplyDelete