Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Caramel Apple Pie #2

Okay, so my first attempt at perfecting an apple pie was pretty successful. Check it out here. But for the record, I think the following apple pie is even better. I used my tried-and-true Williams Sonoma Pie Dough for both the top and the bottom of this pie. Shaner says the top crust balances out the sweet caramel filling quite nicely. It has taken me years and years to finally find a crust recipe that is simple and turns out perfectly flaky and delicate EVERY TIME! Now that I have, I can't stop using it.


I used a recipe from Chew Out Loud for the pie filling. I actually didn't make too many changes to her recipe. The main difference is that prior to placing the top crust, I sprinkled coarse sea salt over top of the filling. That makes a HUGE difference and takes this pie over the top. It needs a little salty with all the sweet. Sweet + Salty = Perfection.




Our ward had their Priesthood Preview this past Sunday and the Primary was in charge. We decided to do Pies and Ties, as we've seen others do with success. Each of us from the Primary Presidency brought a couple pies and some of our husband's ties to decorate with. I brought this caramel apple pie, along with Lydia's Chocolate Cream Pie, which of course, never ceases to amaze. I'm happy to report that both of my pies were completely eaten by the end. I consider that a culinary success.



We have seven boys from Primary who are turning twelve this year and moving up to Young Mens. They are all such great boys and I'm so excited that they are preparing to receive the Priesthood and graduate from Primary. I love my calling.

If you're looking for a pie recipe that will satisfy all fruit pie lovers, this is the one. You can't go wrong with caramel and apple. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am assigned to make fruit pies for a RS activity, I'm excited to make this pie.

    ReplyDelete