Sunday, April 19, 2015

Oven-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

Today was fast Sunday and I wanted to make something delicious, yet quick to eat. The trouble with being a college student, is that we don't have very much space or time to cook. I needed a dish that had good variety, color, and flavor.


My roommate L and I often cook together and share food. Since I just ate the last of the chicken breasts last night, I went to the store to buy more chicken. 


Unfortunately the chicken breasts were not on sale, but fortunately, the thighs were!  One pack of thunder thighs please!


I already had potatoes and carrots, and L had some asparagus. The vegetables can be varied, and more or less of each ingredient can be used depending on the size of the crowd.  


With some washing, cutting, and seasoning, you'll have a delicious and balanced dinner on the table in no time!



Oven-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

Chicken Seasoning:
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t mustard powder
1 t paprika
1/2 t red curry powder

Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs, skins removed if desired
4 potatoes
5 carrots, peeled
1/2 pound asparagus
1 onion
1 T minced garlic
1/4 c. Italian seasoning
Creole seasoning or salt and pepper
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Combine the seasoning ingredients. If desired, remove the chicken skin.  (If you don't remove it, chicken will be crispier. If you are going for health, remove it.) In a small bowl, mix the seasoning ingredients together. Sprinkle the fronts and backs of chicken thighs with seasoning and put them on the baking sheet.

Scrub the potatoes and pat dry. Cut into about 1 inch pieces. Peel the carrots and cut into 2 inch pieces.  Wash the asparagus and cut the ends off.  Chop in half.  Cut onion into wedges.  Place all the vegetables in a large bowl.  Combine the Italian seasoning with garlic. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat.  If you needed, drizzle more olive oil (personal preference I guess) spread vegetables around chicken and season with creole or salt and pepper.

Let cook for about 45 minutes, checking occasionally for doneness.


Recipe by E*

1 comment: