Tuesday, December 3, 2013

(From the Philippines) Thanksgiving Pies from Manila

Hi girls, you'll have to try my new rolling pin sometime, after about three batches of dough, I got the hang of it.


So I used Crisco for the butter in the crust and it turned out very flaky.

Because I haven't a mixer, I did find a plastic bowl with a lid.  I placed flour mix and shortening in it and used a fork to make into pea size.  then I added the 'ice water' because normal water here is warm.  for two cups flour crust recipe, I used 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup water, put the lid on the pan and shook it gently until all the water was absorbed.  I then carefully formed it into a ball and rolled it out on a floured bath towel, all I could find.  It worked wonderful.

The chocolate cream was changed to almond chocolate pie because almond was only flavoring I could find to use.

Milk in coconut cream was a 'milk shelf stable carton' but turned out good.

Pumpkin was baked at 220 c then reduced to 180 c to finish taking about an hour total per pie, one at a time.

Pie crust was baked at 220 c and turned out perfect after 14 min.

All in all, Thanksgiving baking was successful! 




2 comments:

  1. Impressive! Way to adapt to the materials on hand with excellent results! That brayer (roller) is also perfect for making mono prints. Roll acrylic ink on a thin layer of gelatin (in a shallow pan/cookie sheet), put leaves on it or other marks, put a piece of paper down, rub the back of the paper and pull it back up. It will have unique, beautiful art ready to hang! Not edible, but still pretty great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is Elizabeth ("SH" = Shon :)

    ReplyDelete