Tuesday, November 26, 2013

(From the Philippines) "Manila" Chip Cookies

I thought I'd try out our oven and make a small batch of vanilla chip cookies for the office elders, and of course Elder Hiatt.  I had to do some ingredient substitution, due to the few dairy products here in the Philippines.  Dad helped with oven degrees and time.




Vanilla Chip Cookies - Manila style

1 cup plus 2 T. Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Scant 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 c. shortening 
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 c. vanilla flavored pieces

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl with a fork.  Mix by hand shortening, sugar & vanilla.  Add egg.  Stir in flour mixture.  Form cookie size balls and put on baking sheet.  Bake 190 c for about 15 minutes.

(This is for sea-level baking. Increase baking time as needed to reach desired cookie consistency - I like mine looking a little bit chewy and bubbly when they're pulled out of the oven - and bake at 350 degrees on regular American ovens.)

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment